Pokes wrestling ranked 20th in NWCA Coaches Poll
* University of Wyoming athletics media relations release
LARAMIE -- The first NWCA coaches poll of the 2021-22 wrestling season was released on Monday and the Wyoming Cowboy wrestling squad checked in at 20th. They start the season ranked five spots higher then where they finished in the rankings a year ago.
The Pokes received 60 points in the poll and were one of five Big 12 teams to crack the top 25. Missouri, who re-joined the Big 12 conference for this upcoming season, is the highest ranked team in the conference coming in at third. Iowa earned the No.1 ranking with 350 points.
The Cowboys have high hopes for the season as they return seven NCAA Qualifiers to their lineup including All-American Stephen Buchanan. Job Greenwood, Chase Zollmann, Jacob Wright, Cole Moody, Hayden Hastings, Tate Samuelson, Buchanan and Brian Andrews are all individually ranked in their respective weight classes to begin the season.
MORE UW ATHLETICS NEWS:
* Pokes news and notes
* Around the Mtn: Five conference teams already bowl eligible
* Logan Wilson isn't shocked by Chad Muma's rise to stardom
* Trey McBride: 'We recruited him hard'
* Addazio no fan of losing in-state kids to Wyoming
* Josh Allen -- surprise, surprise -- a big hit on 'Manning Cast'
The Wyoming Wrestling squad will officially begin their season on Nov. 27 as they host the Cowboy Open in Laramie before traveling to Las Vegas, Nevada to compete in the Cliff Keen Invitational on Dec. 3 - Dec. 4.
10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming
- 10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming,