LIST: More Wyoming Reservoirs Under Blue-Green Algae Advisory
Sixteen Wyoming lakes reservoirs are under advisories for harmful blue-green algae as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality.
Blue-green algae, or harmful cyanobacteria, can toxic to humans, pets and livestock.
The Wyoming Department of Health and Wyoming Livestock Board recommend the following precautions:
- Avoid contact with water in the vicinity of the bloom, especially in areas where the bloom is dense and forms scum.
- Do not drink water from the bloom. Boiling or otherwise filtering the water doesn't make it safe to drink.
- Rinse fish with clean water and eat only the fillet.
- Avoid water spray from the bloom.
- Do not allow pets or livestock to drink water, eat bloom material or lick fur after contact.
- After coming in contact with the bloom, rinse off with clean water as soon as possible and contact a doctor or veterinarian.