Four Wyoming Counties To Receive Federal Disaster Assistance
Federal funding will be available for communities in four Wyoming counties to repair roads and bridges damaged by storms and flooding earlier this year.
President Obama announced yesterday that assistance will be made available for Albany, Johnson, Niobrara, and Platte Counties. Several Wyoming communities suffered damage to infrastructure from May 24 through June 6 when severe storms pummeled much of the state with rain, causing flooding and damaging roads.
Areas near Lusk in Niobrara County were severely affected by flooding. A bridge going over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks on U.S. Highway 85 was washed out. In addition, U.S. 18/20 and other roadways sustained major damage.
In Albany County, flooding caused approximately $700,000 worth of damage to Fletcher Park, Palmer Canyon, and Cottonwood Roads. On June 30, the Albany County Commissioners signed an emergency declaration and began the process of gaining federal funding to repair the damaged infrastructure.
Earlier this month, federal funding was approved for businesses and individuals affected by flooding in Niobrara and Johnson Counties. This new declaration further expands assistance to more counties and to governmental jurisdictions.
Federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of their facilities damaged by flooding.
The federal program provides 75 percent of funding, while the remaining 25 percent of costs must be covered by the state and local agencies.