UW Practice Day #3
Jerrad Anderson, Townsquare Media
Today was day #3 of University of Wyoming fall camp and the first day with shoulder pads.
Again, the media and public are only allowed into the first 30 minutes of practice, so we don't get to see much.
We watched the team go through their stretching/warm-up routine for the first 10 minutes in the Indoor Practice Facility then move outside to practice punts.
The Ethan Wood, Justin Martin punt practice was inconsistent at best. However, the punt rush looked tremendous. Senior Jordan Stanton blocked two consecutive punts, Sophomore Jacob Hollister blocked one, and Senior Devyn Harris got a couple finger tips on another. Receiving punts were Dominic Rufran, Jalen Claiborne, and D.J. May.
Here's some bullet points from today.
- Cowboy Tough. The stretching regiment, warm-up routine, and overall attitude from the coaching staff is to preach toughness. Dave Christensen preached tempo last year with loud music blaring. There is no music so far at Craig Bohl's camp, just focus.
- Jordan Stanton. I focused a lot of my attention on Jordan today after he blocked back to back punts. Stanton didn't celebrate either of them. He just lined back up and was ready for the next play. I love the "I want some more attitude" he brought to practice today.
- Colby Kirkegaard. Naturally, a lot of eyes on the guy that most think will be Wyoming's starting quarterback. I watched Colby's pre-practice routine and how he interacted with his teammates. He seems like a likable guy who everyone around him respects. His delivery still needs some work and he probably won't get to prove himself for most UW fans until that August 30th kickoff.
- Dominic Rufran. The senior wide receiver has a quiet confidence in practice. You can almost see his eyes telling you "this is my last chance, I have to be great this year." Rufran is on the Biletnikoff award watch list.
- NFL Scouts. Scouts from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Arizona Cardinals watched today's practice.
Friday, Aug. 8 – 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads, Practice #5)
Saturday, Aug. 9 – 8:30 a.m. (Practice #6) | 3:30 p.m. (Practice #7)
Sunday, Aug. 10 – 2:45 p.m. (Practice #8)
Monday, Aug. 11 – 9 a.m. (Practice #9) | 3:50 p.m. (Practice #10)
Tuesday, Aug. 12 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #11)
Wednesday, Aug. 13 – 9 a.m. (Practice #12) | 4 p.m. (Practice #13)
Thursday, Aug. 14 – 9:50 a.m. (Practice #14)
Friday, Aug. 15 – 9 a.m. (Practice #15) | 4:20 p.m. (Practice #16)
Saturday, Aug. 16 – 11 a.m. (Closed Scrimmage, Practice #17)
Sunday, Aug. 17 – No Practice
Monday, Aug. 18 – 8:20 a.m. (Practice #18) | 2:50 p.m. (Practice #19)
Tuesday, Aug. 19 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #20)
Wednesday, Aug. 20 – 9:50 a.m. (Practice #21)
Thursday, Aug. 21 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #22)
Friday, Aug. 22 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #23)
Saturday, Aug. 23 – 11 a.m. (Practice #24)
Monday, Aug. 25 – First Weekly Press Conference at Noon