Phone Scams Reported In Laramie
The City of Laramie is warning there have been multiple phone scams reported in Laramie. The Laramie Police Department has provided some tips about the scams...
• Know who is on the other end of the line. Several of the scammers will affiliate themselves with a collection agency or IRS and demand money or threaten arrest. These are typical threats made by scam artists. Check for Better Business Bureau accreditation and confirm this company exists.
• Some scammers pretend to be a relative of the victim. Create a code word with family that signifies an emergency. If a call like this comes in confirm with other family members that person is out of the state or country.
• Beware of lottery scams. These people will call and say the victim has won the lottery and ask for payment of some kind. There isn’t a fee for winning a lottery, and it is illegal to win or play foreign lotteries by federal law.
• Almost all of the phone scams that come in, the scammer asks for payment with a MoneyGram or Visa greendot card. This can be another giveaway of a scam.
• If you aren’t sure who you are talking to, don’t send money!